Sunday, 18 March 2012

Revlon Lip-picks

From left to right: Black Cherry, Wine Not, Really Red, Raspberry bite, Sienna, Coral.

I hope the slightly unorthodox ('artsy') lipstick-in-front-of-french-windows photos are to everyone's liking. This is Tate Modern quality stuff, people. 

On with the review!
I had been lusting over Revlon lipsticks for a while, until I finally plucked up the courage to take the plunge and got my hands on Black Cherry, and boy did I throw myself in the deep end. 

A bestseller from Revlon's Super Lustrous lippy line, Black Cherry is an alternative vampy choice to the typical dark red, with purple and pink undertones to flatter all skin tones. Honestly? I so wanted it to live up to all the hype, but the finish is undeniably poor. Both in the tube and on the lips, Black Cherry has an uneven consistency which leaves tiny specks of product on the lips which become gradually more prominent as time progresses. The pigmentation is beautiful indeed, but crumbly lips are not sexy. The product also has a tendency to bleed into the skin around the lips, (experienced lippy-wearers will know exactly what I mean) so unless you're literally going vampire for an evening, I wouldn't recommend Black Cherry for long-term wear.
5/10

Wine Not is a redder, matte version of Black Cherry: (although they look almost identical in the photograph below - blame the constraints of a digital camera) pigmented and surprisingly moisturising for a matte lipstick. Well, moisturising may be a slight exaggeration, but Wine Not is certainly far from drying and lasts for many an hour. A firm favourite, and who doesn't love a cheeky name? I'm such a sucker for marketing ploys.
9/10 

I have been on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick for a few years - not an orange, not a pink and as far from prostitutey as I can get. However, good highstreet reds were seemingly nowhere to be found, until I discovered Really Red. It is a true red, just as the name suggests! Very pigmented and like Wine Not it has an excellent matte formula. Gold star galore.
8/10

Raspberry bite is such a Disney Princess pink: bold, stunning and it certainly grabs your attention. It's my silent killer - more muted than a red but bright enough to make a statement. The thing I love about this lipstick is its versatility, it is breathtaking against a paler, Winter complexion and blends in so beautifully with a warmer tan. Super lustrous, lasting and lovely. 
8/10

Sienna. Ohhhhhh Sienna (there's never a bad time for an inaccurate Ultravox reference). My everyday lipstick and go-to colour, perfect for lazy days in need of a little colour and day or night appropriate. I think Sienna is a bona fide classic for brunettes (and darker) and pale or tanned girls alike. As a colourburst lippy, it is moisturising, pigmented but sheer enough to slap on without a mirror, and it stays put. It is a little more orangey than the swatch below and has some red undertones, which I feel make it so flattering on olive skin.
A yourlipsbutmuchmuchbetter colour. 
10/10

I wasn't sure whether or not to include Coral, because it is the only Revlon lipstick I haven't actually worn properly yet. My justification is its fluorescence which lends it to a more Summery theme, and it is my first coral colour! This will undoubtedly be making an appearance in the warmer months, but it is just a little too scary for now. I can do dark purples, but gimme a neon and I'll run for miles. First impressions? Very pretty.
The Jury's out on this one. 

    

Final verdict? Revlon lipsticks are an investment that rarely disappoint. 

Follow to your heart's content!
acidera
I have been a little M.I.A as of late, admittedly, but I am happy to announce I am back for good (cue Gary Barlow). I hope you enjoyed my first, proper beauty review.  

2 comments:

  1. Everytime I see you now I'm going to try and guess what shade you're wearing ;) You're such a good writer, so glad you're back into blogging! MUCH love xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These all look amazing! I think you've convinced me that I need Wine Not... so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.