Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Rimmel London's Wake Me Up Foundation: Reviewed



So here it is: the ever raved about Rimmel London Wake Me up Foundation. 



The Basics:
1. This is a six shade range of foundation 
2. It retails at around £8.99 (but I nabbed it for a cheeky £5.99 whilst it was on offer at Boots!) 
3. There is 30ml of product per bottle
4. The bottle provides a pump mechanism for distributing the product 
5. I would say it gives medium, buildable coverage
6. The consistency is a little on the thicker side, but it blends very easily
7. It leaves a slightly shimmery, dewy finish on the skin 

It claims to have an "Anti-fatigue effect + radiant glow", and contains SPF 15. This seems at first glance to be a little paradoxical, because SPF containing foundations are renowned for their ghostly/reflective qualities, especially in flash photography. I have been wearing this foundation for around a month, and having test-driven it on a few nights out I can safely confirm that this simply has a radiant, healthy look in pictures. Goodbye Casper.  

Consistency from the bottle

 Blended  
It gives the skin a healthy and natural glow.

 Left hand: Wake Me Up Foundation / Right hand: Bare 
As you can see, it adds warmth to the skin without looking unnatural 

Shimmer particles in sunlight  
For all you glitter-phobes out there, this is not a glittery foundation that will leave you with an 
Edward Cullen sparkle; it has a very light shimmer to it which seems to disappear when blended.


Pros:


  1. The pump is a hygienic choice which simplifies application
  2. This foundation really does last for a fair few hours, whether used in conjunction with a primer or not.
  3. True to form, it creates a radiant but not overpowering glow to the skin. The shimmer is barely noticeable on the face, so it isn't an issue for me. 
  4. I have not tried any high-end foundations, but for the price and quality of this product - I have no desire to do so. I would pay more than the asking price for a product of this standard.
  5. 30ml is a hearty amount of foundation that I foresee lasting for a few months.     
Cons:
  1. It takes about two pumps to cover the entire face
  2. I know this is down to preference, but I find the packaging hideous. I mean this lid is truly traffic stopping orange, which is a far cry from my own taste. But hey-ho, it's the product that matters
  3. I have some small patches of eczema and dry skin on my face, and after a few hours the foundation does tend to cling to these areas
  4. It doesn't make much of a difference to the redness on my cheeks, which means I resort to using a thin layer of concealer to eradicate this instead
  5. The colour range is a little dire and leaves a lot to be desired. I think this foundation would suit warmer toned or olive skin with yellow undertones best


The Final Verdict? 
I do have a confession to make - I am quite the foundation novice. I only began wearing a fuller face of make up in the Summer of 2011, and since then I have used three foundations. But I have the same basic criteria for a good foundation as most people; a natural look and lasting coverage. Rimmel London's Wake Me Up Foundation certainly delivers. The pros of this product greatly outweigh the cons, and I especially like that it can be blended into a tinted moisturiser consistency for days when I'm looking for low maintenance make up.


8/10


Sara
P.s. Don't forget to follow for more reviews. What is your foundation of choice? 

2 comments:

  1. right, im getting this. ta for making me spend more money ;) LOVE YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this foundation, but I slightly prefer the Bourjois healthy mix.

    I reviewed the wake me up foundation too on my blog :)

    http://kitschsnitch.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.