Sunday, 24 June 2012

The Burning House


Something a little different. 
I stumbled across www.theburninghouse.tumblr.com a while ago. Instead of trying to explain rather inarticulately in my usual style, here's what the page states:
"If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question."
The typical responses are beautifully laid out, processed in high quality but just seem a little insincere. I'm probably just being my judgemental self, but would you really take incense, a dream catcher and your most obscure vinyl when fleeing from a burning house? I'd probably grab some alcohol, my gameboy advance and forget my cat. With all due respect, the whole idea is a little contradictory, because I don't see how you would have the time to formulate such a hipster collection of items whilst trying to escape death by fire.
I take things too literally.
So, yada yada, I have basically been equally pretentious in my choices, but all the same I shall try and incoherently justify myself.

1. Purse: gotta try and be practical.
2. Map of New York: The seven best days of my life so far were spent here (cliché in all its glory).
3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: The copy I stole from high school and have loved ever since.
4. Biro: See #1.
5. A card from my Granny: For memory's sake, and her handwriting is so nostalgic. 
6. Reading glasses.
7. Key: My friend has the same key and we both wear them wherever we go.
8. iPod: Who am I kidding? I even forgot headphones.
9. My Grandmother's necklace: Heirloom with engravings of my Grandparent's initials on.
10. My favourite photograph.
11. Moleskine journal, which without I would be clinically insane. 


Which items would you take from a burning house? Let me know in the comments below.

Sara

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute idea! As if you stole the book from scabbey. tut tut. The only item I know would be coming with me fo sho is Dolly. I daren't try and think what else I would take..you know me, I'd get really into this and start panicking and worrying and would pack a suitcase up just incase the tragic day ever came when my house burned down...and I probably have better things to be doing with my time..maybe.
    LOVE YOU <3

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.