Saturday, 21 July 2012

A Book Haul / Choose My Next Read

I have literally just finished the book I've been reading (a biography of Frank Sinatra's life) within the last hour and I'm already desperate to choose my next read. Despite my efforts at reading falling short in recent months, Summer always brings the promise of warm days spent in the garden with an endless flow of literature. As the weather is actually heating up in England, I plan on being a complete recluse confined to a deckchair, rocking the sunglasses over reading glasses look and feeling bloody content. 
I'm overwhelmed by the array of books I have collected recently and their various themes/genres/styles, so this is my cry for help.

1. Animal Farm - George Orwell
2. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
3. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
4. American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis (I am edging towards this but I think the subject matter could be a slight... dampener - no pun intended)
5. Whilhom - Robert Watson 
6. The Penguin Dictionary of Saints - David Attwater (This is weird, I'm aware that this is weird. I'm fascinated by theology/philosophy and the like, but this isn't an actual choice  - it's just a recent purchase. It is a dictionary after all!)
7. The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
8. Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Have you read any of these books and if so, can you make a recommendation? 
More so than ever this is the perfect opportunity to interact, so please do not hesitate to comment below with your thoughts!

P.s. What is your current Summer read?

14 comments:

  1. I think you should go for 1984! I've been looking for a copy to read recently but haven't had any luck, I may have to resort to the library.
    Georgia X
    P.S. I'm starting The Notebook on Monday for Venice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Venice, and your book of course. I'm very jealous

      Delete
    2. Thank you m'love. If you ever get the chance to go, do!

      Delete
  2. your comment to me reduced me to happy tears. you have no idea how much it means to me to hear those things, especially from someone that doesn't have to say those things. you're a truly lovely person; you really are.

    as for the books, 'fraid I've not read any of these but they look like a good challenge (: enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so kind of you to take the time to respond and even to look at my blog, that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I really didn't put much thought into it: I simply wrote the truth! Your response has well and truly brightened a very miserable day of mine, so thank you for that kindness, especially as you didn't owe me anything.

      Delete
  3. never read 1984 . ever . it sarred me for life - admittedly reading it aged 11 was probably silly but even now ,never , ever read that literary horror film of boring hell . srsly sara .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scarred * bloody broken c key

      Delete
    2. Oh Soph, you're such a weirdo. And I love it.

      Delete
  4. I've just picked up the Song of Achilles book this week! It was part of a 'love it or return it' offer going on at Waterstones. I'm mildly wary about any modern version/take on the homeric myth (after 'Troy' the movie destroyed a million of my brain cells) but the amount of supposed research that went into this book has intrigued me. I'd say read this so I can tweet you about it! If you plan on buying any other books (espesh any from the amazing waterstones deal) then PLEASE go read The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I just finished it - absolutely brilliant.

    Sorry for the long comment. Massive book geek!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went into Waterstones today and sadly seem to have missed the 'love it or return it' offer, but my Dad accidentally ordered two copies of The Song of Achilles book so I didn't need to spend a penny. I'd already decided to read it before seeing your comment but now I'm glad to have a companion along the way - I agree that Twitter would be a good mode of discussion! I've followed you back. I have more than enough books and I was so tempted today but I think I'll have to dent my current collection before I can dream of more literature! I will look into the Marriage Plot though, thank you!
      Hey, I love a hearty comment - and a fellow book geek.

      Delete
  5. I love reading in the summer! I always go on a crazy book buying haul! Good choices, have read 1984 and Animal Farm and enjoyed both!

    www.littlekjf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about the weather that reduces me to a crazed bookworm! I'll be reading some Orwell this Summer, no doubt.

      Delete
  6. I am a HUGE George Orwell fan.. 1984 is one of the few books I can read again and again. It was written in 1948 and unbelivably it's still relevant today. Please, please read it first. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

    HELen

    pierrelecat

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.