Thursday, 20 September 2012

The Boyfriend Coat: What Sara Wore


Jeans: Just Female @ ASOS / Shirt: Charity Shop / 
Coat: Charity Shop / Belt: ASOS / Shoes: Charity Shop

I often don't realise how much of my wardrobe is second hand until I write a post like this. My parents and I spent last Friday night at a classical concert and my entire outfit minus socks and, well, underwear (I hope that's a given) was second hand; pretty darn impressive.
I am quite the second hand aficionado as I've always lived nearby to an abundance of charity shops and found them to be surprisingly less chaotic than the city centre shopping districts. Truth be told, there's something so exciting about rifling through row upon row of smelly, mostly repulsive looking garments only to find a one off piece. In my case, a few months ago I felt compelled to go into a particular shop that had an attractive looking rail of coats. Of course, you had your oversized denim, over-embellished leather and just oversparklysequineddiamant√©d jackets, but amongst the mish mash there was a camel coloured beacon of light: it was an unscathed boyfriend jacket, intact with spare buttons. Too good to be true I hear you mutter, but I had, in fact, struck gold. The coat was £6.99 current season Louche @ JOY and its situation was clearly the amalgamation of an impulse buy and a lost receipt. That indecisively stylish stranger's loss was indeed my gain.
So, the moral of the story is - if you do not discover, try and try again! I'm often asked "how do you find such great pieces?" which I can't possibly answer, but it's definitely not by sitting on my arse and wondering.

Sara
P.s. What is your most satisfying second hand find?

And here's a cute photograph of Quincy and I

9 comments:

  1. lovely outfit! i found an amazing leopard print coat at a vintage fair for next to nothing :)

    from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really starting to rekindle my love for leopard print - gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I love charity shops! however, my mum doesn't and once she even gave something I bought, back to a charity shop! xD Now I just have to sneakily buy stuff from there and make sure she doesn't find out xD

    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame! At least it hasn't dissuaded you from venturing into the wonderful world of the second hand. Maybe one day you can convince her to feel differently!

      Delete
  3. Ahh I love your coat. I've been looking for one like it for ages!

    Xenia
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My latest post features a few affordable A/W styles if you're interested:)

      Delete
  4. I'd love to feature you on my blog Sara. Let me know if you'd like that idea?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely open to it! Just drop me an email or something.

      Delete
  5. I love the boyfriend look, the coat is amazing! :)

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFashionHunter

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.